· “When looking for space for green coffee storage, think about three to six months ahead,” Chris says. “Beyond that, you’ll need space to package, grind, and ship as needed. A couple of hundred square feet, minimum, with room to expand, is a good place to start.
· I put together a few steps which pretty much anyone can walk through to check if green coffee has been artificially infused: Grind green coffee to a very coarse grind size. Place 20g of the ground green coffee in a cupping bowl. Pour 40°C water onto it, and let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes. Taste it.
· The grind size was the same for both, as was the 1:5 coffee to water ratio. For the warm brew, she put the coffee in “total infusion” using a thermocirculator (sous vide), without using a filter to separate water from coffee.
· These grind coffee between two ridged metal discs or plates (known as burrs). The grind size is determined by the distance between the two burrs – the closer they are, the finer the grind size will be, and vice versa. Burr grinders give you the ability to make precise incremental tweaks, whereas blade grinders generally do not. This gives the …
· Then, Byron says, there was a boom. “Home coffee roasting had a large spike in popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s and there was even a large surge in patents for home roasting appliances,” he notes. “This all happened around the mid to late-1990s when smaller amounts of green coffee started to become regularly available to more …
· “The truck would come to the end of our street, and the driver would need the coffee out of the truck as quickly as possible. “So, we would throw it all into our van, drive up to the front door of the café, and then wheel the coffee through the coffee shop, past the customers and into the roasting space.
· Artisanal coffee liqueurs. Matthew Foster is the 2019 USA Coffee in Good Spirits Champion and manager of The Annex, a specialty coffee shop in St. Louis, Missouri. He believes that the best at-home cocktail recipe is the easiest one. He says that a good artisanal coffee liqueur is an easy way to elevate almost any coffee cocktail, making them incredibly versatile.
· The intermediate standards of the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA) require that baristas demonstrate knowledge of organisational and operational procedures, understand how to provide great customer service, and recognise the importance of cleaning equipment. These are all key factors to consider in coffee shop workflow.
· Oldenburg’s third place & the changing face of the coffee shop. In 1989, urban sociologist Ray Oldenburg published a landmark book, The Great Good Place, in which he examines the “third place” in all its various forms, from the beer garden and the bookstore to coffee shops and bars. In the book, he describes the third place as “the heart of a …
· Making & Using Coffee Fertilizing Tea – Using Coffee Grounds On Houseplants. One of the best ways to use coffee grounds to power your houseplants is by making a fertilizing tea from the spent grounds. Much like compost tea, the liquid is quickly absorbed by the plants roots for an energizing boost of nutrients.